Q. what in the world is a kraken?
A. For those of you that live in a hole and haven’t seen Pirates of the Caribbean, this is a great question! A Kraken is a mythical sea monster in the form of a giant octopus that was the cause of great drama and destruction on the sea for pirates and ships alike. Like the Kraken was a one of a kind creature you would never forget, the CycleBoat experience is one in the same!
Q. I can't wait to step aboard! How do I book?
A. We can’t wait to have you aboard! Whether you are booking the entire CycleBoat or booking by the seat, just follow these 3 steps to sign up for your Kraken CycleBoat experience:
- Go to our online booking page and select a date/time.
- Choose to book by the seat or book the entire boat and pay via credit card.
- Read and sign your electronic waiver.
Q.what should I bring?
A. Here are a few suggestions for you to maximize your experience:
- Drinks: If bringing adult beverages, 36oz. of beer or 18oz. of wine per person should be plenty.
- Don’t forget to bring some water, we do have a canopy to keep you shaded, but it can still get warm out on the water!
- Music: The “Kraken” sound system can be run by your phone. We have some great playlists, but we know every group has their own favorites.
- Sunscreen: Florida is named the sunshine state for a reason! Our collapsible canopy blocks a lot of rays, but it’s still best to lather up!
- Snacks: Bring aboard anything your group would like to munch on.
- Clothing/Footwear: When selecting your outfit, make sure to take into consideration both time of year and conditions on the water. Also, I know we Floridians like to wear flip-flops, but you may want to consider wearing a close-toed shoe for pedaling.
Q. I want to host a party or event. Can I book the entire CycleBoat?
A. YES! We will work with you to customize your ride aboard the "Kraken" to make sure you and your guests have an experience you'll never forget! In fact, because we give a discount for booking the entire CycleBoat, we recommend that those of you celebrating the following events or any other large group event book the entire “Kraken”:
- Birthday Party
- Bachelorette Party
- Company Events and Team Building
- Bachelor Party
- Pub Crawl
- Wine Tasting
- Family Reunion or Class Reunion
Q. where do we meet for our kraken cycleboat experience?
A. Tampa: We will pick up and drop off at the Tampa Convention Center Marina near the Sail Pavilion. You can’t miss our bright green paddlewheel! Public parking is available in several nearby lots.
1) Tampa Convention Center Garage
2) Under the Selmon Expressway
3) If you are feeling lucky, try the roundabout by the Sail Pavilion.
St. Petersburg: We will pick up and drop off at the Gulfport Municipal Marina. Free parking is available on site. Please use the parking lot to the west of the marina.
Q. how long will we be aboard the kraken?
A. Our standard tour in Tampa and St. Petersburg is approximately 2 hours from the time you step aboard the “Kraken” to the time we drop you off. If you are booking a special event, we do have the ability to increase the length of your tour per your request.
Q. How many people can fit on the CycleBoat?
A. 15. Our CycleBoats have 10 pedal stations seated around a central bar and a large bench seat for non-pedalers or those who would like a break from pedaling. There is also plenty of room to stand up and walk around.
Q. can I drink aboard the "kraken?"
A. Absolutely! The “Kraken” is a BYOB experience, meaning we will not be providing any beverages, but you are welcome to bring your own! We will provide you with a souvenir cup to transfer over any drinks from glass containers.
Q. do you provide us with our very own souvenir cups?
A. Yes, we will be providing you a souvenir cup for your drinking convenience as well as a keepsake for you to recount the incredible memories you will create during your Kraken CycleBoat tour.
Q. do you have coolers and ice onboard?
A. Absolutely! You just bring the drinks, we’ll keep them cold. If you want to donate some extra ice, it never hurts to have more!
Q. DO YOU PROVIDE FOOD AND BEVERAGES?
A. We will not provide food and beverages but you are permitted to bring aboard drinks and food of your liking. Many of our boats will be docked at locations that provide food and beverage services.
Q. how difficult is it to pedal?
A. Not at all! Our riders always comment on how surprisingly EASY the CycleBoat is to pedal, especially compared to the Pedal Trolley's on the street! There are no hills on the waterways in Florida and we can raise and lower the paddlewheel to increase or decrease resistance.
Q. is there room to stand up and walk around?
A. You bet there is! If you want to stretch your legs for a few minutes, feel free to stand up and walk around the deck. Just don’t let your friends see you take your feet off the pedals!
Q. will we see any dolphins?
A. There is a very good chance you will, especially in beautiful Boca Ciega Bay at our St. Petersburg location! In Tampa, sightings are not incredibly frequent but we always have our eyes open for them.
Q. are children allowed onboard?
A. Depends on the tour.
Children are not permitted on public tours but are welcome on any PRIVATE, FULL BOAT booking!
Children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian over the age of 25. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please feel free to give us a call at 813-603-3117.
Q. HOW many seats need to be filled to operate the kraken?
A. As few as 6 can pedal the “Kraken” but we prefer to cruise with 8 or more. We will contact you if there are less than 8 seats filled for your time slot. If we have to cancel due to a shortage of passengers we will refund your payment if we are unable to reschedule your tour. When scheduling with us, check our live availability, and if possible, book a tour that already has some seats taken to avoid running into this scenario.
Q. HOW and where do i pay?
A. Payments can be made by way of credit card on our website during the scheduling process. We also accept walk up purchases for last minute pedalers.
Q. does each cycleboat have a captain?
A. Yes! Each Kraken CycleBoat will be managed and operated by a credentialed Master Captain as well as a 1st Mate!
Q. what happens if we have bad weather on the day of our cycleboat cruise?
A. The “Kraken” pedals rain or shine thanks to a protective canopy that covers the boat. In the case of extreme weather including thunder, lightning or high winds (over 20mph), the captain has the authority to cancel or suspend the tour and issue vouchers for a tour when the weather is more cooperative. Your safety is our top priority.
Q. is there a bathroom on board?
A. No, but we do have a designated halfway stops at participating restaurants where you will have the ability to exit the “Kraken” for bathroom needs as well as to refresh your beverages or even order food from our on board menus.
Q. WHAT is your cancellation policy?
A. Our standard cancellation policy is as follows:
- Full boat cancellations must be made 10 days prior to your reservation to receive a refund.
- Individual seat cancellations made 5 days prior to your tour will receive a full refund.
- Individual seat cancellations made more than 2 days in advance of the tour, but less than 5 days in advance, will receive a voucher for a future tour.
- No shows or cancellations made less than 2 days (48 hours) prior to a scheduled cruise will not be entitled to a refund.
In the event that extreme weather causes the cancellation of your tour, each passenger will be provided a rain check for a future cruise.
Q. do you provide life jackets?
A. While our service is here to provide you with a fun filled time, your safety is our number one priority. Each of our Kraken CycleBoats have been inspected and certified by the U.S. Coastguard and are equipped with all necessary safety equipment including life preservers for adults and children. Whether you wear them is your personal choice.
Q. My captain and crew gave us an incredible experience; can I leave them a tip?
A. If you had a great experience and our crew added to your enjoyment please feel free to show your appreciation with a tip.